Atmospheric Coatings

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

The Atmospheric Coatings Technical Community of Interest is a group of people (both AMPP members and nonmembers) who have come together for the purpose of furthering a common cause by sharing wisdom, knowledge, information, and/or data for coatings utilized in environments exposed to the atmosphere.

AMPP 2024 Workshop on Surface Roughness Measurement and Specification

• 1.  AMPP 2024 Workshop on Surface Roughness Measurement and Specification

Posted 10-25-2023 09:42 AM

Based on some discussion at the SC05 meeting at AMPP last year, I am organizing a workshop at the 2024 annual conference in New Orleans to discuss the potential integration of surface roughness measurement into our surface preparation standards.  Despite much research on the value of roughness measurements and new standards for measuring surface roughness, the issue isn't currently addressed in any of our surface preparation standards.  At the SC05 meeting we debated the merits of including a roughness method is SP-11, but I don't think it is even addressed in the non-mandatory appendices of our standards.  Personally, I believe it is time to have a discussion regarding the usefulness of roughness measurement in our industry standards.

The meeting is tentatively scheduled for two hours on the afternoon of Monday, March 4 (SC05 is meeting in the morning).  I envision a series of brief presentations followed by an hour of robust conversation.  The intent is to provide some diverse perspectives to inspire discussion.  OF course, everyone is welcome to attend and participate in the discussion, however if you are interested in making a brief (~5 minute) presentation prior to the discussion, please let me know what you'd like to discuss. 

------------------------------
    J. Peter Ault
    President
    KTA-Tator Inc
    Vineland NJ
    +18568392434
    ------------------------------