Who should attend
Students who have previously taken the in-person or virtual CP3 Technologist class and would like to review the course material.
- Define activation, concentration, and resistance polarization, and the mathematical expressions of these concepts.
- Recall the factors that affect polarization (area, temperature, relative movement, ion concentration, oxygen concentration)
- Identify errors in data collection/CP measurements including contact resistance errors, voltage drop errors, and reference electrode errors where the technologist is employed.
- Determine ideal current distribution for a CP system taking into account the factors affecting current distribution.
- Learn advanced cathodic protection testing using correct measurement techniques to monitor CP system performance, accurately interpret the data collected to ensure optimum CP system performance and determine the correction action to the system, if necessary
- Observe and document interference tests to determine if interference exists and identify the source of the interference and implement a method of control to mitigate the effects of stray current.
- Design and install simplistic forms of galvanic and impressed current cathodic protection facilities and perform the necessary mathematical calculations.
Previous completion of the CP3 Technologist course.
Successful completion of the course is required to earn a certificate of course completion. Requirements are specific to each course and may include a combination of attendance, daily assessments, activities, quizzes, or knowledge checks.
For exam and translation availability, visit the NACE Institute site for individual exam and certification requirements. Requirements are specific to each certification and may include a combination of exams, application, course completion, work experience and proof of educational achievements. All certification and renewal applicants will be required to complete the AMPP ethics training program OR an equivalent training and provide proof of completion as part of the certification application or renewal process. *Please Note: Exams for the Cathodic Protection Technologist (English and Spanish) and Cathodic Protection Specialist (English only) Programs will be available at select Pearson VUE testing centers globally during two specified times per year. Please visit the CP3 and CP4 certification page for more details.