This course is designed to provide training in quality management for SSPC-Certified contractor personnel, Technical Quality Managers (TQM), and inspectors employed by SSPC-QP 5 inspection firms. It provides an overview of the quality management aspects of surface preparation, paint, coatings, and inspection operations that a Quality Control Supervisor (QCS) needs to know to ensure delivery of a quality product to customers. It is highly recommended that students attending the QCS course have recent inspection training (SSPC PCI, NBPI, or BCI) or equivalent formal training and also have some quality control experience.
- Quality systems
- QCS qualifications and requirements
- Training and qualifications
- Technical resources
- Quality manuals and procedures
- Documentation and data control
- Calibration programs
- Contract document and specification review
- Work plans and process control procedures
- Inspection plans
- Inspection reports
- Internal audits
The written exam consists of 25, multiple-choice questions. To receive a certificate and CEUs, you must attend all 16 hours of the course and attain at least 70% on the exam.
Exercise and workshop topics include: interpreting project specification and product data sheet information, developing a work plan, developing an inspection plan, and reviewing inspection reports.
Benefits of attending
After attending this course you will be able to:
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of quality control supervisors
- Identify the technical resources a QCS should have on hand
- Define common quality system terms
- Describe the contents of a typical quality control manual
- Discuss the importance of written procedures and the requirements for writing them
- Recognize the need to control all documents and data related to the company’s quality program
- Apply document review procedures
- Describe inspection plans and types of inspection
- Examine and correct system deficiencies that have caused non-conformities
- Determine how to show conformance to specifications through detailed documentation
- Establish a program to monitor all equipment requiring calibration
- Identify the general training requirements for contractor QC personnel in the field or on the shop floor
Who should attend
SSPC-Certified contractor personnel, Technical Quality Managers (TQM), and inspectors employed by SSPC-QP 5 inspection firms. It is also applicable to project managers, coating specifiers, contracting officers, plant and facility managers, coating inspectors, and technical service representatives in the industrial and marine coatings industry. This course is not intended to replace the more formal quality management courses available from such organizations as the American Society for Quality (ASQ).